Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Teach girls some independence!

I don’t know if you know this or not, but it’s COLD here in Michigan. I’ve heard that it’s going to get into the single digits tonight with a wind chill factor of -11 degrees or so. Folks, that’s cold.

And sometimes, when it’s cold, older batteries in your vehicles don’t start. Theresa at Quack This just wrote about this subject today which reminded me of an instance a couple weeks ago that happened here at work.

It was about 5:30 pm and the Director (D) of the bureau came over with another employee (S) whom I know. D asked if there was anyone mechanically inclined because S’s car wouldn’t start and they thought it was probably the battery.

So, I ask if they have jumper cables in either of their vehicles. S stated that she did, in fact, have jumper cables (mine are in the van…I take the jeep to work). I said that I knew how to jump start a car and I’d do it for them, no problem.
This leads me to today’s thought. Neither of these women, one aged maybe 58 and the other about 28, knew how to jumpstart a car. D actually said that is why she pays for AAA and S stated that’s the reason she got married. Now, both may have been being facitious, but I think there may have been some truth into both of those statements. And on top of that, they were stunned to find out that I knew how to do it myself without asking one of the men in our unit to help.

Seriously? Anyone reading my blog…PLEASE teach your daughters (and sons for that matter!) some of the simple things to maintaining their vehicle. Things like:

Driving a stick shift. Yes, I realize that most of today’s vehicles are automatic but you never know when that skill might come in handy.

Changing the oil. Or for God’s sake at least knowing how to check the oil! I was with a friend in college and they didn’t know the difference between the where to check the oil and the windshield washer fluid. That also goes along with knowing where to put coolant into the engine at.

Changing a tire. There is not always going to be a man around to help. Hell, I had a flat tire one time and 2 cop cars went by me without even stopping to ask if they could help, so it’s not like you can rely on them either. Also, another good thing to know is how to check the tire pressure and about what the tire pressure should be at in your tires.

Jump-starting a car. How to hook up the jumper cables and get the car started but also the basics like make sure the car remains running for about 20-30 minutes so that it has a chance to recharge a bit.

Most people have a cell phone and the tow truck or husband or daddy is just a call away. But what if that cell phone battery is dead? Or you're out in the middle of nowhere? It's just good information to know, in my humble opinion.

Next up, the things boys need to know about home economics.

No comments:

Post a Comment